Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Houston

Logan and I took a mini vacation to Houston, just the two of us. We left last Thursday and returned home on Sunday. The method of transportation...airplane (did you really think I would drive that all by myself? NEVER!). That was the first time for my little man with it came a range of emotions. Nerves, panic, fear, excitement...and anyone who had traveled lately will relate to the impatience. Our flight was delayed seconds after printing the boarding passes. We were able to switch to a direct flight and give up our seats to Dallas to two ladies desperate to figure out how to recover their travel plans to Hawaii. That was our good deed of the day. It turned into several hours in an airport but was better in the end. With just a short wait in the Houston airport we greeted Kasey and Em as they exited the jet bridge from their flight. The rental car was quite an adventure. Now as most of you know I try to avoid driving as much as can and I live in a relatively small town. Not that I can't drive I just prefer not to. I can't gawk and talk when I'm driving. So it only makes sense that I was the driver all over Houston and not the city girl. I would like to say I conquered that big city pretty well. I only got lost twice but I blame it all on the psychotic Garmin girl I like to call "Garma". That crazy broad took me on a wild goose chase to Sonic and Gymboree. As my old boss used to say, "You're not lost is you end up at your destination." Using that logic, I guess we didn't get lost. My faithful back seat drivers and frequent critics enjoyed my adventurous driving that most certainly did not include hitting a temporary stop sign, running a red light late at night, or driving down a side walk. Absolutely none of that happened! Nana & Papa, Uncle Jamey and Julia joined us in Houston as well. We were able to spend a ton of time with Charlie and Henry (oh, and Uncle Jeff and Aunt Allie as well!). I only had to remind Logan 5000 a few times that we were in Houston to see his cousins not swim in a hotel pool. Don't worry he was able to make both happen and swim everyday. I asked him if he missed his brothers. His response was, "Naw, sometime I just need a break from them. They're kind of annoying." Well I missed them and they missed us.

We went to the Children's museum in addition to the main events of Henry's birthday party and the walk to support It's Might Heart in the fight against CHD. Henry had a blast at his party. All the kid wanted was cake, pates (plates) and poons (spoons)! Easy enough to make him happy! Henry really liked Logan. Not as much as he liked Julia, but he did love him some Logan. The walk was amazing and was very well done. There were 3-4 bounce houses, craft booths, games, face & hair painting, free fish, and more for after the walk. Several hundred people participated in the walk. A bunch of teams took the lead from team Henry last year and sported team shirts this year. Team Henry may not have been the biggest team there but Team Henry lead the way in raising $$. Sweet victory for Team Henry! While I am on Team Henry everyday, it was a real honor to be a part of Team Henry that day!

Both mom and kiddo had a great time together. I look forward to future trips with him and my other fellas.

Here is a video of Henry's fun time and a bunch of pictures we took:





1 comment:

The Robinsons said...

i think it's awesome you got to take a trip just the two of you. sounds like you had a great time.